January 21 is National Granola Bar Day, so why not take the time to make this healthy snack.
USOPC Senior Sports Dietitian Shawn Hueglin, who has worked with our national teams, provide this tasty recipe. Fuel up!
Almond Cherry Granola Bars
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup puffed rice cereal
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax (optional)
1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup honey or light maple syrup
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup Chopped Dried Cherries (or any dried fruit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats, almonds, puffed rice, flax and wheat germ on a sheet pan; bake 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Place almond butter, honey (or syrup) & salt in microwave-safe bowl; cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir well.
- Place oat mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add warm almond butter mixture, vanilla and dried fruit, mix well.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with waxed paper (or use a silicone bake pan). Press almond mixture in firmly. Refrigerate. Cut into squares to serve. Bars will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Perfect to top yogurt or eat alone at room temperature.