Why Safe Sport?
Thank you for your commitment to Safe Sport. Together, we can promote a safe and respectful environment on and off the court.
Safe Sport training must be completed prior to interacting with athletes. The content of this Safe Sport training was developed and is maintained by the U.S. Center for SafeSport, which retains individual course completion records. Note: Safe Sport training is free for USA Volleyball members who take the training through their SportsEngine account. Completing this training through your account automatically updates your USAV member record.
You will take three lessons during this training:
- Emotional and Physical Misconduct
- Sexual Misconduct
- Mandatory Reporting
Updates to Safe Sport Training
(updated Dec. 20, 2021)
- U.S. Center for SafeSport “Core” Training: This is required training for adults who have regular contact with amateur athletes who are minors, and/or have regular contact with or authority over an amateur athlete who is a minor. The training must be completed before regular contact with an amateur athlete who is a minor begins; or within the first 45 days of initial membership, or upon beginning a new role subjecting the adult to the MAAPP. The training must be completed by March 23, 2019, for all current members or after for new members. Available to USAV members for free.
- 30-Minute Refresher: This is conducted annually following “Core” Center for SafeSport Training. This training is 30 minutes and is a review of the information shared in the Core Center for SafeSport Training. Available to USAV members for free.
- Athletes turning 18 during the season, whose teammates are minors, will be required to take “Core” Center for SafeSport Training upon turning 18. To prevent any disruption in playing eligibility, athletes turning 18 during the USAV season are given a membership that requires Safe Sport parental consent and SafeSport Training completion to be eligible.
- Parent and Youth Training Courses: The U.S. Center for SafeSport has launched youth courses. This training is not mandatory and will be offered through the Center’s website at safesporttrained.org. It requires parental consent. The parent/legal guardian creates the account to provide consent for the child and to decide which course is best for their child. Courses are for athletes ages 5-12, athletes ages 13-17, and for parents. These free courses are for minor athletes and their parents to understand the importance of positive, welcoming environments in sports, where misconduct like bullying or abuse is less likely to happen, and to know where to report abuse, should it happen.
How to Register for Training
Parental consent is required for minor athletes to register for Safe Sport training. Complete the parental consent form in SportsEngine when registering.
Safe Sport training is accessed through your new SportsEngine membership account.
- How to Complete Safe Sport Training/Refresher Course for USA Volleyball
- How to Complete Safe Sport Training Refresher Course from Your SportsEngine Account (requires you to log in to your SportsEngine account)
Visit the Center’s NGB Services page for more information on responsibilities, education and training.