COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (June 28, 2016) – The U.S. Boys’ Youth National Team punched its ticket to the NORCECA U19 Continental Championship finals with a 17-25, 25-18, 25-23, 23-25, 17-15 win against Mexico on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the Americans will face host-nation Cuba in a rematch of the 2014 U19 Continental Championship final, which the U.S. won. The match is schedule for 8 p.m. eastern.
Brandon Browning, Jaylen Jasper and Joel Schneidmiller each scored 17 points for the U.S., followed by Sam Lewis with 11 points.
“Working with boys who are this age is quite hard. I also feel very proud for my boys, who, in spite of the pressure, were able to keep calm while their substitutes were supporting at all times,” Head Coach Sam Shweisky said in a translated press release from NORCECA.
In addition to securing at least a silver medal at the Continental Championship, the Boys’ Youth Team secured a berth to the 2017 FIVB U19 World Championships; the top two teams from this year’s NORCECA tournament automatically qualify for next year’s event.
The U.S. and Mexico paced one another, with 52 American kills to 53 by Mexico. Mexico also out-blocked the U.S. 15-14. However, the U.S. edged Mexico behind the service line with eight aces to Mexcio’s two aces.
U.S. Boys’ Youth National Team
No. Name (Position, Height, Home City, Home State, Home Region)
1. Brandon Browning (OH, 6-4, Corona del Mar, Calif., Southern California)
3. Chris Hall (S, 6-2, Alhambra, Calif., SCVA)
5. Jaylen Jasper (OH, 6-7, Arnold, Md., Chesapeake)
6. Devin Joslyn (OH, 6-5, Angola, N.Y., Western Empire)
7. Sam Lewis (MB, 6-10, Long Beach, Calif., SCVA)
9. Jack Mathews (MB, 6-4, Tustin, Calif., SCVA)
11. Kyle Merchen (S, 6-4, Clovis, Calif., Northern California)
16. Cole Paxson (L, 5-11, Laguna Beach, Calif., SCVA)
18. Kyler Presho (MB, 6-8, San Clemente, Calif., SCVA)
19. J.P. Reilly (OH, 6-4, Manhattan Beach, Calif., SCVA)
20. Sean Ryan (OH, 6-3, Countryside, Ill., Great Lakes)
22. Joel Schneidmiller (OH, 6-6, Saratoga, Calif., NCVA)
4. Eli Irizarry (S, 6-1, Moraga, Calif., NCVA)
10. Chris McBee (OH, 6-4, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., SCVA)
13. Thomas Nelson (L, 6-1, San Ramon, Calif., NCVA)
23. Canyon Tuman (MB, 6-7, Sewickley, Pa., Keystone)
Head Coach: Sam Schweisky (Princeton)
Associate Head Coach: Brad Keller (UCLA)
Assistant Coach: Theo Edwards (Cal State Northridge)
Technical Coordinator: Kevin Burch (Ohio State)
Team Manager: Collin Powers (USAV)
Team Doctor: Dr. Priscilla Tu
Schedule for the NORCECA Boys’ U19 Continental Championship
June 24: USA def. Nicaragua, 25-23, 25-12, 25-23
June 25: USA def. Costa Rica, 25-9, 25-17, 25-16
June 26: USA def. Dominican Republic, 25-16, 25-17, 25-21
June 28: USA def. Mexico, 17-25, 25-18, 25-23, 23-25, 17-15
June 29: USA v. Cuba