COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Feb. 19, 2016) – The U.S. Women’s National Team Open Tryouts starts today with 225 athletes from 88 colleges being evaluated through Sunday at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
The athletes are shooting not only to grab the attention of the U.S. Women’s National Team led by its head coach Karch Kiraly and his staff, but also 60 spots in the U.S. Collegiate National Team program that will have five different teams in three programs that serve as key components in USA Volleyball’s High Performance pipeline.
- Tour of China (12 athletes): June 18-July 1
- Tour of Europe (12 athletes): July 5-16
- USA Volleyball Girls’ Junior National Championships (projected 36 athletes): June 21-30 in Indianapolis
While some of the athletes may not be immediately available for the U.S. Women’s National Team, the U.S. Collegiate National Team program affords the players opportunities to train in the USA system and gain familiarity for the process later in their careers. Like the age-group levels of High Performance, the U.S. Collegiate National Team is a stepping stone to the next level, whether with the U.S. Women’s National Team, a possible pro career after college or simply improving for the upcoming collegiate season.
Streaming and Social Media
All four courts of the tryout will be streamed live. Additionally, USA Volleyball will be actively promoting the tryout through social media posts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, while also debuting its Snapchat account during the tryout. Follow all the accounts at @USAVolleyball, and follow the conversation with the hashtage #USAVtryout.
U.S. Women’s National Team Open Tryout By the Numbers
- 1: FIVB World Championship MVP who took part in past tryouts (Kim Hill in 2013)
- 1: Twin sisters (Hannah and Paige Tapp of Minnesota)
- 2: Programs athletes are competing for slots (U.S. Women’s National Team, U.S. Collegiate National Team)
- 3: Past National High School Players of the Year taking part in tryout (Alexa Smith, Alexa Filley, Audriana Fitzmorris)
- 3: Olympic gold medals won by Karch Kiraly, who is leading the tryout
- 5: Courts being used (four on Friday and Saturday, and a fifth on Sunday morning)
- 5: USA Volleyball Social media platforms covering the tryout using hashtag #USAVtryout (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and debut of Snapchat)
- 7: Air Force Academy athletes going cross-town in Colorado Springs to attend tryout
- 12: University of Minnesota players competing in tryout
- 22: Opposites on the tryout roster
- 36: Spots on the U.S. Collegiate National Team program
- 38: Setters on the tryout roster
- 46: Defensive Specialists on the tryout roster
- 46: Staff running the tryout
- 55: Middle blockers on the tryout roster
- 64: Outside hitters on the tryout roster
- 84: Hours of live video stream during the tryout (4 cameras over course of 21 hours of tryout)
- 88: Number of colleges with athletes participating
- 225: Athletes competing in the tryout