COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Oct. 18, 2016) – The 72nd Annual Dorothy C. Boyce Awards & Recognition Banquet will recognize nine volleyball legends on May 24, 2017 in Minneapolis. The Boyce Banquet is the signature event during the USA Volleyball Annual Meetings.
The individual honorees include the following:
- Flo Hyman All-Time Great Women’s Players: Elaina Oden
- Flo Hyman All-Time Great Women’s Players: Kim Oden
- All-Time Great Male Sitting Player: Brent Rasmussen
- All-Time Great Female Sitting Player: Katie Holloway
- Donald S. Shondell All-Time Great Coach (Contemporary Division): Bill Hamiter
- Bertha H. Lucas All-Time Great Coach (Pioneer Division): Debby Colberg
- George J. Fisher Leader in Volleyball: Nancy Funk
- George J. Fisher Leader in Volleyball: David Spencer
- Harold T. Friermood “Frier” Award: to be announced
The Dr. Harold T. Friermood “Frier” Award, the top honor given out by USA Volleyball, is secret until announced during the Boyce Banquet.
Elaina and Kim Oden are sisters who played together and won bronze medals at the 1992 Olympic Games. Holloway has won three Paralympic Games medals, including gold in the 2016 Paralympics women’s sitting volleyball competition. Rasmussen was part of the 2004 U.S. Paralympic Men’s Sitting Volleyball Team.
Hamiter guided the U.S. Paralympic Women’s Sitting Team to gold at the 2016 Paralympics four years after coaching the squad to silver at the 2012 Paralympics. Colberg led Sacramento State to an 828-292 record over 32 years, including transitions from AIAW to NCAA Division II and ultimately NCAA Division I without any drop in success.
Funk has been a vital part of the Pioneer Region being its first-ever full-time employee while holding key roles on a national level. Spencer held two terms as commissioner of the Great Plains Region before turning his leadership toward the rules of the game on a national level as an official.
Cost to attend the banquet and reception will be announced in early 2017.