HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. (Aug. 19, 2017) – With both teams playing as hard as they did one year ago at the Olympic Games, the U.S. Men’s National Team fell to Brazil, 23-25, 25-22, 25-23, 22-25, 18-16 on Saturday in a USA Volleyball Cup match at the Sears Centre.
The loss before a near-capacity crowd of 4,400 was the United States’ fourth straight in the four-match exhibition series between the two teams.
The teams will meet again during the FIVB Grand Champions Cup on Sept. 12-17 in Japan.
“I think we’ll be fine (at Grand Champions Cup),” said Team Captain David Smith. “I think these matches will be good motivation. They will be a good learning tool. We’ll look at the video and study what we need to do.”
Matt Anderson, who made a rare start at outside hitter for the United States, led all scorers with 31 points on a match-high 22 kills, a match-high five blocks and a match-high four aces.
Anderson played outside hitter full time during the 2012 Olympic quadrennial, but moved to opposite in 2013 as former starter Clay Stanley dealt with injuries and eventually retired.
“We want to put out the best lineup that gives us the best chance,” Anderson said when asked which position he prefers. “if that’s me playing on the left, playing on the right; I’ll do whatever the team needs me to do.”
Outside hitter Thomas Jaeschke, who grew up in the area and was a star at Loyola of Chicago, added 16 points on 14 kills and two blocks.
The U.S. led in aces (8-4) and blocks (13-11). Brazil led in kills (62-59). The U.S. had a .466 hitting efficiency behind setter Micah Christenson. Brazil hit .470.
After falling behind Brazil, 2-1, the United States battle back in the fourth set, taking an 18-11 before holding off Brazil’s comeback to win 25-22. The U.S. Men trailed in the fifth set 11-9, but Smith scored on a quick attack, then served for three more points, including an ace, to give the U.S. the 13-11 lead.
Brazil tied the score with a kill and a block. The U.S. took match point at 14-13 on a Jaeschke attack, but Brazil came back with a kill. Jaeschke connected again to make it 15-14, but Brazil scored twice to lead 16-15. Jaeschke scored one more time to tie it. But Brazil scored on a kill and a block to win the match.
“They’re the best team in the world and they’re making learn a lot about our team,” U.S. libero Erik Shoji said of Brazil. “We’re still young and a little experienced. We’re trying to get over that hump and win. That’s two five-set matches that we’ve lost to Brazil.”
U.S. Starters vs. Brazil
Outside hitters: Matt Anderson and Thomas Jaeschke
Middle blockers: Jeff Jendryk and David Smith
Opposite: Ben Patch
Setter: Micah Christenson
Libero: Erik Shoji
U.S. Statistics vs. Brazil
Kills: Anderson 22, Jaeschke 14, Patch 9, Smith 7, Max Holt 4, Jendryk 2
Blocks: Anderson 5, Smith 2, Jaeschke 2, Jendryk 1, Christenson 1, Patch 1, Holt 1
Aces: Anderson 4, Smith 2, Christenson 1, Patch 1
U.S. Roster for USAV Cup Matches
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (Opp, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Aaron Russell (OH, 6-9, Ellicott City, Md., Penn State)
4. Jeff Jendryk (MB, 6-10, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
10. Thomas Jaeschke (OH, 6-6, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
12. TJ DeFalco (OH, 6-5, Huntington Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
13. Dan McDonnell (MB, 6-6, Glendale, Ariz., UC Irvine)
14. Ben Patch (Opp, 6-8, Provo, Utah, BYU)
15. Carson Clark (Opp, 6-8, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-10, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
19. Taylor Averill (MB, 6-7, San Jose, Calif., Hawaii)
20C. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
Head Coach: John Speraw
Assistant Coach: Brian Thornton
Technical Coordinator: Nate Ngo
Athletic Trainer: Aaron Brock
Athletic Trainer: Tim Pelot
Brazil Roster for USAV Cup Matches
No. Name (Position, Height, Shirt Name)
1. Bruno Mossa de Rezende (S, 6-3, BRUNO)
2. Isac Viana Santos (MB, 6-10, ISAC)
5. Lucas Eduardo Loh (OH, 6-5, LUCAS LOH)
6. Tiago Brendle (L, 6-10, T. BRENDLE)
7. Murilo Radke (S, 6-6, M. RADKE)
10. Otavio Henrique Rodrigues Pinto (MB, 6-7, OTAVIO)
12. Joᾶo Rafael de Barros Ferreira (OH, 6-3, JOÃO RAFAEL)
13. Mauricio Luiz de Souza (MB, 6-10, M. SOUZA)
16. Lucas Saatkamp (MB, 6-11, LUCAS)
17. Thales Gustavo Hoss (L, 6-2, THALES)
18. Ricardo Lucarelli Santos de Souza (OH, 6-5, LUCARELLI)
19. Mauricio Borges Almeida Silva (OH, 6-10, MAURICIO)
20. Renan Zanatta Buiatti (Opp, 7-0, RENAN)
21. Rafael Rodrigues de Araujo (Opp, 6-9, ARAUJO)
Head Coach: Renan Dos Santos
Assistant Coach: Marcelo Fronckowiak
Assistant Coach: Ricardo Tabach
Doctor: Felipe Serrᾶo
Therapist: Matheus Cardoso Dos Santos
Physical Trainer: Renato Sergio Bacchi
Massage Therapist: Kleevansostins Albuquerque
Statistician: Henrique Modenesi