COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (June 6, 2022) – The 2022 Beach Volleyball World Championships field is set, and six U.S. Beach National Team pairs will compete for a world title in Rome June 10-19, 2022.
Representing the United States will be:
- Betsi Flint/Kelly Cheng
- Kelley Kolinske/Sara Hughes
- Emily Day/Emily Stockman
- Sarah Sponcil/Terese Cannon
- Chaim Schalk/Theo Brunner
- Taylor Sander/Taylor Crabb
Flint and Sander will make their Beach Worlds debuts. Everyone else has played in at least one previous Championship, although this will be Schalk’s first in the Stars and Stripes; he represented his native Canada in 2013 and 2015.
Day was originally partnered with April Ross, but Ross withdrew due to injury. Stockman and Day played together at the AVP event in Austin, Texas, last month and took third. It is their only tournament as partners.
Ross and Alix Klineman won silver at the last World Championships in 2019. Hughes finished fifth with then-partner Summer Ross, and Cheng/Sponcil combined for a ninth-place finish. Leading the American men, Tri Bourne/Trevor Crabb finished fourth. Taylor Crabb took ninth with the now-retired Jake Gibb.
The Beach Volleyball World Championships consist of 12 pools of four teams for both genders. After round robin pool play, the top two pairs from each pool plus the four best third-place finishers advance directly to a 32-team knockout bracket. The remaining third-place finishers will play for one of the final four knockout berths.
All matches of the Beach Volleyball World Championships will be streamed on VolleyballWorld.TV.
Below are each U.S. duo’s pools:
- Betsi Flint/Kelly Cheng (USA)
- Sophie Bukovec/Brandie Wilkerson (CAN)
- Esmee Bobner/Zoe Verge-Depre (SUI)
- Valentina Cali/Margherita Tega (ITA)
- Kelley Kolinske/Sara Hughes (USA)
- Maria Belen Carro Marquez de Acuna/Angela Lobato Herrero (ESP)
- Ariana Estefania Vilela Becerra/Karelys Simisterra Ortiz (ECU)
- Marta Menegatti/Valentina Gottardi (ITA)
- Emily Day/Emily Stockman (USA)
- Talita Da Rocha Antunes/Rebecca Cavalcanti Barbosa Silva (BRA)
- Taru Lahti-Liukkonen/Niina Ahtiainen (FIN)
- Julibeth Payano Veras/Jeneiry Wismery Rosario Hernandez (DOM)
- Terese Cannon/Sarah Sponcil (USA)
- Taliqua Clancy/Mariafe Artacho del Solar (AUS)
- Leila Consuelo Martinez Ortega/Lidianny Echeverria Benitez (CUB)
- Farida El Askalany/Doaa Elghobashy (EGY)
- Taylor Sander/Taylor Crabb (USA)
- Cherif Younousse Samba/Ahmed Tijan (QAT)
- Youssef Krou/Arnaud Gauthier-Rat (FRA)
- Gonzalo Melgarejo/Roger Daniel Battilana Villamayor (PAR)
- Chaim Schalk/Theo Brunner (USA)
- Ondrej Perusic/David Schweiner (CZE)
- Mathias Berntsen/Hendrik Mol (NOR)
- Ainadino Martinho/Jorge Monjane (MOZ)